Asia is home to fascinating cultures, ancient sites and an abundance of adventure travel opportunities. From wildlife watching to biking and trekking there is something here to suit everyone. Perhaps the most visited is South-East Asia, with some of the friendliest people, best beaches, most dramatic scenery and most amazing food in the world, it’s no wonder that South East Asia keeps us coming back for more. New travellers to the region are rewarded with opportunities to try many new activities, such as hill tribe trekking, diving on a coral reef or kayaking by limestone pinnacles, whilst those on a repeat trip will always find something new to see such as Angkor Wat or lovely, laid back Luang Prabang.
Below are some of the top Asian adventure travel destinations:
- See orang-utans in Malaysia – Set in the lush 4,300-hectare Kabili-Sepilok Forest Reserve, the Sepilok Orang-utan Sanctuary attracts travellers and researchers alike, giving them the opportunity to get face to face with orang-utans up close in their natural habitat. A boardwalk leads you to a viewing gallery and feeding platform where the apes are fed milk and bananas twice a day by rangers. Feeding time also attracts long-tailed macaques to the area.
- Explore Angkor Wat – There are countless temples at Angkor but some of the main one of course, is Angkor Wat itself, regarded as the masterpiece of Khmer architecture; the walled city of Angkor Thom; The Baphoun, an 11th century temple with a 131 ft reclining Buddha; the Bayon, famous for its superb bas reliefs and mysterious faces and Ta Prohm, still cloaked in jungle.
- Volunteer in Borneo – Immerse yourself in the culture and live and work with the local communities and wildlife of Malaysia.
- Cycle in Vietnam – 30,000,000 Vietnamese can’t be wrong – handle-bar height gives you the best view of Vietnam. Cycling through this beautiful country provides opportunities to meet the local people and experience the local culture in a way that wouldn’t be possible otherwise.
- Swim with whale sharks in the Philippines – Swimming with a whale shark, locally known as Butanding (scientific name: Rhincodon typus) is the epitome of wildlife encounters – an experience of a lifetime, an experience not to be missed! The sheer size of the largest fish in the ocean will start your adrenaline pumping.